Word of the Day!

Word of the Day

Friday, March 14, 2008

Happy Feet


I confess, a year ago, I had no idea that sewing machines had all kinds of special feet. Zipper foot, buttonhole foot, normal zig-zag and straight-stitch feet, that was the limits of my experience. I had no idea that there were sewing machine feet that did fancy things like roll hems for you. If I had, believe me, I would have burned a lot less fingers trying to press those itty-bitty hems for sewing.

I just now got around to buying some rolled-hem feet, though, because while I had my old Kenmore, I was thinking I wouldn't waste any money on accessories for a machine that I was going to get rid of as soon as humanly possible, and then once I got my new one at Christmas (New Year's, actually) I didn't want to pay $6 shipping for a tiny $7 sewing machine foot.

But now that I am quilting a quilt for my sister, I desperately need a walking foot (yes, I can hear you true quilters gasps of dismay). The first baby quilt turned out not nearly as great as it should have because of my lack of said walking foot. So I bit the bullet and ponied up my accumulated Etsy money for the year (it's been a slow couple of months) for a bunch of fancy feet. And they arrived today!

I have got two rolled hem feet of different widths (they're cheaper in a set) and a walking foot, stitch in the ditch foot, a freehand quilting/darning foot, and something called an "open toe craft foot", which I wouldn't have bought but it was part of the set. Yay!

My Etsy shop money has mostly gone to upgrading my sewing equipment: I bought half of my new Kenmore with it, and the new feet. It seems almost counterproductive to sink everything back into sewing, but on the other hand, I like these equipment upgrades and enjoy them on a personal level, as well. I probably would have made do with what I had just for my own use, though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your quilts are beautiful! I love to quilt too, but haven't been able to in years due to little ones. But seeing your work makes me want to get back to it!

Donna Hodgson said...

That clear foot will be invaluable to you once you use it. For my Bernina, it's called an open toed foot. I use mine ALOT for satin stitching and just about anything where I want to see clearly what my needle is doing and where it's going. Try it.

Anonymous said...

I just got a walking foot last month, and I'm so happy with it. I'm not sure what I was doing without one! Hooray for specialized feet! :)