Word of the Day!

Word of the Day

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Baby Quilt Numero Uno

The last few days I have not been working on the squares for my sister's baby quilt, because I have been working on this one. I waffled back and forth over whether I would sew this one, for a friend at church, or give her something smaller, since I was already embroiled in one baby quilt. But the fabric was so cute, a soft cozy flannel, so I went ahead and bought some pieces. Then Sunday we were given the news that THIS SATURDAY is the shower, so I had to hurry up and get it done. This Sunday is my sister's shower, but I made her some smaller things and will get the quilt to her after the baby is born. He can't use it until then anyway.

It was good that I did this one, for the practice in machine quilting at least. I have a lot of kinks to work out in my quilting technique (maybe I need a walker foot?). At any rate, I now know to cut the backing fabric larger than the quilt top.

I wish the quilting and the border had turned out more perfectly, but I really love the quilt top, and for a quick and easy baby quilt the four-patch design can't be beat. I think cutting out and sewing the quilt top took only four or five hours (Can I mention here how I love, love, love my rotary cutter and mat?). Would have been less if I had planned better. I had to stop partway in and rethink my arrangement of the pieces. They are 5" squares with a 2" border (that is covered up by the satin binding.

No comments: