Word of the Day!

Word of the Day

Monday, February 18, 2008

Starting the baby quilt


Ever since my sister found out she was pregnant, I've been planning a baby quilt for her. I've had the main fabrics for months. Originally I was just going to make it with plain squares in a sort of checkerboard, but then the fancy-quilt bug bit me, and I wanted to do the star square (it is paper pieced). I've had the design picked out and all planned. It turns out I will not be using the star square. I just don't like how the monkeys in the star are going all different directions. It would take a lot of care to line them up on every square. For me, it might be impossible.

Realizing this, and realizing that I was running out of time, I had to pick a new pattern. Saturday I found a different pattern in a book from the library, that just uses squares and rectangles. Now I have all the pieces cut out. Her shower is March 9, and the baby is due around April 8. I doubt I will make it to the shower with a finished quilt, but we will see.

The sashing will be orange. For a baby quilt, it is very bright, but I like brights, and I figure that it will be something my nephew can keep in his room even when he's older and it won't look too babyish.

No comments: