Word of the Day!

Word of the Day

Saturday, December 20, 2008

More Christmas Projects


I'm going to split the Christmas sewing I've been doing up into a couple of different posts, because it would make one REALLY long post. I haven't had time to blog lately.

I am happy to say that I am DONE with Christmas presents. I finished what I needed to make, I bought what needed bought -- they're even almost all wrapped now.

Big Christmas Project #2 was this quilt, which is for my grandmother Crum. My sister and my mom and I split up the blocks and each did 4, then I sewed the top together and quilted it. The pattern is called ribbon star, or ribbon friendship star. The blocks are huge, 15" x 15", which helped it go fast. It came out of a book called 24 Hour Quilts, by Rita Weiss, although the ribbon star block is of course older.

I actually prefer making scrap quilts, but they are more time consuming, and it would have been a lot harder to ensure a decent looking quilt, between the three of us. Plus, my grandma likes a more pastel range of colors than I do, and we wanted to put some peach in there for her. I don't have any peach, and very few pastels. The Joann Fabric in Amarillo didn't have much peach, either. Apparently it is out of fashion at the moment. There is plenty of bubblegum pink, though.

I also finished these potholders at the same time I did the quilt. The one is from scraps of the quilt and was actually a test square for the quilting.

3 comments:

bee said...

the quilt is beautiful potholdes are very nice all will think they have received the BEST gifs ever

enjoy your time in ohio

bee said...

the quilt is beautiful potholdes are very nice all will think they have received the BEST gifs ever

enjoy your time in ohio

Gwen said...

What a beautiful quilt! (I like pastels too...) I'm going to have a small taste of quilting when I tackle my Christmas presents for my co-workers - but nothing like that! Your grandmother is going to love it! :)