Word of the Day!

Word of the Day

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Today's Breakfast Special: White Chocolate and Apricot Scones

I don't know if it looks like much in the photo, but these scones that we had for breakfast were delicious. They are very bad for you (stick margarine, heavy cream, and white chocolate are all pretty high fat) but the taste totally makes up for it. And I figure next time around I will tweak the recipe to make them healthier. I did go ahead and replace some of the white flour with wheat flour.

The recipe came out of the magazine that the Texas electric co-op association puts out every month. They tend to have good recipes in there, I think because they are the winners of a monthly contest. It can be found here (scroll down, they're called "Coffee Dog Apricot-White Chocolate Scones").

Because I am not running at full capacity first thing in the morning (True story: once I left the baking powder out of the biscuits. They were hard and flat, but Brandon ate them anyway. That's why I love him.) I chopped up the butter and apricots (and the cubes of almond bark, the little store in Farwell doesn't have white chocolate chips) the night before and mixed all my dry ingredients in the bowl so there would be that much less to do before I had my coffee.

The recipe says make a big ball out of the dough, flatten it slightly, and cut into eighths. These were huge, and I couldn't even finish one for breakfast, so next time I will make two balls of dough and cut them into eighths.

Yes, I know I said I didn't like white chocolate. But for some things I make an exception. Like these scones. And white chocolate-macadamia nut cookies. As long as the chunks of white "chocolate" aren't too big. I just don't want to eat a bar of the stuff.

5 comments:

Ms. Embry said...

Wow! Those sound..rich! (As our grandparents would say.) I would love to be able to get up and make something this yummy in the mornings for breakfast but I'm lucky if I manage a bowl of hot oatmeal! :-)

texasholls said...

Wow! I am drooling just thinking about those. Yum! I made refrigerated canned biscuits for breakfast this morning and Aaron ate those. That's why I love him. :) I did make eggs as well though. Usually we don't make breakfast--just a bowl of cereal and some oj.

MadeByAmanda said...

It's rare that I cook much more than an egg for breakfast, or oatmeal. Eggs are nice and easy, which is why I think they got to be considered breakfast food.

bee said...

I think that is what "country" folk call "larrapin". UM UM! That is the kind of thing that goes straight to the hip. Bring it on baby!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good, but for me, it's more of a tea time thing.

Of course, I don't have girlfriends to come over at tea time, OR even drink tea, but hey!